Monday, February 16, 2009

Dream Influences #1 - Kava Kava, et. al.

"If one is having a more restful sleep, then it only makes sense that one will not only have more dreams, but would retain more dreams as well... We have also read many articles about plants such as Valerian Root, Calea Zacatechichi, Wild Lettuce, Sea Bean, and a few others have often been utilized for increasing the frequency and the recollection of dreams." - Makaira

This blogger puts forth a modicum of effort investigating (incl. posts regarding) the nature of dreams and dreaming - concomitant actually posting about bird dreams. I make a concerted effort to focus on sources which justifiy their reliability with data that is repeatable, and ideally even provable - to the degree that dream work can be either. Regarding the popular sentiment of the quotation above; I'll forego ad hominems, or straw men. The facts, as best I can sort them out, will hopefully put to rest this ignoratio elenchi.

A long time sufferer of some form of insomnia or another, I've availed myself of most all health food stores' shelves that deal with sleep aids. Valerian and Kava Kava among these. Nearly all left me either groggy the next morning, or just didn't work sufficiently. Caveat emptor, indeed.

Sleeping for well-restedness, and for "frequency and recollection of dreams" are two distinct things - profoundly I've learned. I have found Valerian to be good for neither, and Kava Kava to be adequate for only the former. Wild Lettuce is thrown into many natural sleep aid cocktails, but I don't have any experience with it by itself.

Entada rheedii/ei, Calea zacatechichi, Artemisia vulgaris (Mugwort), Silene capensis (syn. undulata), Datura spp. and others fall into an entirely different category. They are classified as "dream inducers" (oneirogens) and also "happen" to be at least mildly hallucinogenic. *Sigh*... my waking mind is weird enough... thank you very much. Currently, I have no intentions of testing these guys out; especially those Datura which can put you in a coma - or worse.

I'll put together another post or two about my intentions and goals regarding the subject of external dream induction.

No comments:

 

count visits
Apple iPod Touch 8GB