Monday, December 8, 2008

Talking of Tinamous


Slaty-breasted Tinamou (Crypturellus boucardi)
Image online here


I was waiting tables in a diner (which, of course, had poisonous snakes all over the floor and tables, but I digress...).  I managed to safely exit from said establishment.  On the lawn out back, a medium-sized bird foraged.  My sudden presence made it run about, pardon the pun, like a chicken-with-it's-head-cut-off.  I couldn't resist. At the time, I thought "cool, a big ol' Tinamou". Apparently, even large tinamous aren't quite this size.

My experience with this group of birds is limited; some zoo time and book illustrations.  I only got one good look at the dreambird as it scooted past, onward to wherever dreambirds go. The closest real-world species to compare it with is the Slaty-breasted Tinamou. Dreams being dreams, this wasn't exactly what the little bugger looked like. Now, cross the above bird, at eight inches long, with a Darwin's Rhea, over three feet, and you're very close. Viola!


No comments:

 

count visits
Apple iPod Touch 8GB